Thursday, February 12, 2009

Now we wait...

On Wednesday morning, Rachel and I learned that Ella may have an infection. Ella Rae was having a few more-than-normal (even for her) episodes of apnea and brady cardia (where she either forgets to breath or beat her heart). The doctors drew some blood and found that she had a high white blood cell count. This could be a sign that Ella is fighting an infection, but not necessarily. So, they put the blood in a culture for observation and administered an initial round of antibiotics. They said not to worry, as it probably would not be an infection, and that these were precautionary steps. It gets a little funny after this because as we head back to talk to our nurse, and she thinks that Ella just needs her caffeine upped. Ugh-should I worry or should I not?!?

Last night, both Ella and Ava had great nights. The night nurse said that they were angels and that she did not have to log a single episode between them, which is a first. So, everything's great, right?

Then late this afternoon (Thursday), the doctor informs us that they did find an infection-like structure in Ella's blood culture, but they have a suspicion that the culture was contaminated. Ella is doing really well, so they decided to draw a second culture to either confirm/deny the presence of an infection. So, I guess that we now pray that there is not any infection.

Keep little Ella Rae in your prayers.

-tinny out


  1. Praying for you guys! I remember those scares with Parker....I will pray that everything turns out ok! Hang in there!

  2. We will keep you in our thoughts. Let us know if you need anything.

    Bridget & James

  3. She is so adorable with her little hat! Precious baby girl!